This guided tour will take in the best of Western Myanmar, from the lost city of Mrauk U to the beautiful resort of Ngapali Beach.
This journey will take you to mysterious kingdoms of Wethali and Mrauk U in Arakan state in the far Western corner of the country bordering Bangladesh. Your tour will start with a flight from Yangon to Sittwe, a fishing port city at the mouth of Kaledan River.
From Sittwe we journey by boat upstream Kaledan River to Mrauk U and explore the ancient ruins of Mrauk U and Wethali (Vesali) once thriving and influential kingdoms controlling the coastal waters of Burma.
After sailing back to Sittwe we continue by flight to Thandwe and enjoy the azure waters and powdery paradise beaches of Bay of Bengal and Myanmar’s premier beach resort Ngapali Beach.
At a glance
- Temples of Ancient Kingdom of Mrauk U
- Fascinating boat ride along the backwaters of Rakhine State
- Pristine white sand and turquoise waters in Ngapali Beach
- Bustling fish markets in Sittwe
Itinerary in Brief
- DAY 1: Yangon to Sittwe Flight
- DAY 2: Sittwe to Mrauk U by boat
- DAY 3: Mrauk U sightseeing
- DAY 4: Mrauk U to Ngapali Beach
- DAY 5 – 6: Relaxing on Ngapali Beach
- DAY 7: Flight to Yangon
Morning pick up from your hotel in Yangon and transfer to Yangon domestic airport for flight to Sittwe. Afternoon arrival to to SITTWE, a former seaside capital of colonial Burma where the Rivers Kaledan and Lemro meet the grand Bay of Bengal. After enjoying a late lunch at a local restaurant, we visit the highlights of the town.
Early breakfast at the hotel and transfer to Sittwe jetty for the boat journey to Mrauk U. The 70km cruise upstream the Kaledan River travels though farming region and small riverside communities. The travel time varies between 4-7 hours depending on boat size and river conditions. Simple packed lunches are provided on the boat. On arrival to the Mrauk U Pier half a mile south of the town’s central market, we transfer to hotel. In the afternoon, we embark on a journey to the ruins of the lost city of Mrauk U and explore all the main sights.
After breakfast, we visit the central MRAUK U MARKET to see the typical Rakhine foods and products sold, then drive 30min/14km to the ruins of the Wethali. The ANCIENT CITY OF WETHALI (VESALI) was a thriving dynasty from the 4th to 9th centuries, though little but overgrown bushes remain. At the GREAT WETHALI PAYAGYI, we admire the 17ft-high seated Buddha crafted from a single slab of sandstone, set amidst a panoramic view of quaint villages and farmland. We return to Mrauk U for lunch and later in the afternoon, visit the serene PHARAOUK TEMPLE, built in late 1500s and with a solid stupa featuring 29 life-sized Buddha’s seated radially in its wall. Continuing to KOTHAUNG TEMPLE, we visit the most colossal temple of Mrauk U, named for the 90,000 statues it originally housed. If weather permits, we climb to the SHWEGUDAUNG PAYA, the highest pagoda of Mrauk U to enjoy the captivating views of temples winking under the setting sun.
Early breakfast at the hotel followed by a boat ride to Sittwe. If time permits, we visit enroute a MRO ETHNIC MINORITY VILLAGE, known for intricate designs of the Khami traditional dress hand woven by the local weavers. Lunch is served on board the boat. Upon arrival to Sittwe, we transfer to the airport for the afternoon flight to Thandwe (8km from Ngapali Beach). Upon arrival to THANDWE airport, you will be welcomed by your hotel transfer rep and transferred to your hotel.
Breakfast at your hotel, Rest of the day is for enjoying pristine beaches of Ngapali, relaxing in the shade of palm trees by the sea. Active visitors can choose from visiting the colourful local market in Thandwe (Sandoway), biking along the coast to surrounding villages, or hiring a boat to go fishing or sailing against the coastal backdrop of the Rakhine hills.
Breakfast at your hotel. Free at leisure until transfer to Thandwe airport for your flight to Yangon. Discovery DMC guide will welcome you at Yangon domestic airport and transfer to your hotel in Yangon or for your connecting flight departing from new international airport.
- Private tours and transfers with air-conditioned vehicles as specified in our itinerary
- 2 bottles of water & 2 refreshing towels per passenger per day
- Lodging with breakfast as specified in the itinerary
- Luggage handling fees at airports
- Entrance fees or zone fees
- English speaking guide(other languages guide can be provide with additional charges)
What's Not Included
- Visa to Myanmar (note that pre-arranged visa is required for tourists)
- All entrance fees or zone fees
- Domestic Airfares (always quoted and mentioned separately from tour package price)
- International air fares
- Meals or any other item not described in the itinerary
- Peak season surcharges & Compulsory dinners during Xmas & New Year’s
- Early check-in, late check-out. Normal check out time from hotels in Myanmar is 11am or 12 o’clock noon
- Drinks during meals, hotel extras and expenses of personal nature
- Camera & video fees. Some of the sites visited may ask small fees for photographing and video recording.
Tips & gratuities
WHAT OUR CLIENTS ARE SAYING
About This Tour
DON’T FORGET TO CHECK OUT