Experience all the classic sights of Myanmar on this guided journey.From the awe-inspiring temple plains of Bagan to the serene beauty of Inle Lake.
Your trip starts from British administration constructed capital city, Yangon (Rangoon); where we visit the magnificent gold plate and gemstone decorated Shwedagon pagoda; take a stroll through quaint old quarter of Yangon enjoying sights and sounds of this bustling city.
Our journey continues northbound to Ancient Kingdom of Bagan, the greatest archeological treasure of Myanmar with over 3000 pagodas and temples ruins located on the plains Bagan by Ayeyarwaddy River (Irrawaddy). Bagan was during its heyday one the greatest kingdoms in the World and is truly a magical destination to visit.
From Bagan we continue to Mandalay second largest city of the country and cultural cradle of the country with old royal capitals situated nearby where we make day excursions.
Our next destination is rural Shan State and beautiful Inle Lake region inhabited by minority peoples. By Inle we visit markets, floating gardens and villages on stilts and enjoy the sights of local fishermen skillfully balancing on their canoes.
At a glance
- Colonial Yangon & Swedagon Pagoda
- Temples of Ancient Kingdom of Bagan
- Mandalay artisans, market & cultural heritage
- Royal Capitals Sagaing, Inwa & Amarapura
- Mesmerizing Inle Lake, minorities & boat trips
Itinerary in Brief
- DAY 1: Arrival and City Tour
- DAY 2: Am Yangon walking tour. Pm flight to Bagan.
- DAY 3: Bagan temples & highlights. Bagan temples & highlights
- DAY 4: Bagan, Mt Popa & sunset cruise
- DAY 5: Flight to Mandalay. Mandalay city sights
- DAY 6: Ancient royal capitals & Ubein bridge sunset
- DAY 7: Flight to Heho and boat excursions on Inle
- DAY 8: Inle sacred sites, cottage industry & canoe ride
- DAY 9: Am lake & vineyard visit. Pm flight to Yangon
- DAY 10: Transfer to Yangon airport for your flight
On arrival to Yangon airport, you will be welcomed by Discovery DMC guide with a sign board and your name on it. Transfer to your hotel for check-in. After freshening up we will visit some of Yangon’s highlights including one of the world’s most spectacular monuments, the Shwedagon Pagoda, a gold covered bell dome structure that dominates the city’s skyline.
After breakfast at hotel we embark on a walking tour to explore the highlights of downtown Yangon. Our tour will take in sights such as the iconic Sule Pagoda and Bogoyke Market.
After lunch break transfer to Yangon airport for flight (1hr) to Nyaung U/ Bagan. Upon arrival to Bagan airport transfer to hotel in Bagan. Time permitting you can enjoy sunset at one of the temples.
After breakfast at hotel we begin our journey into the Ancient Kingdoms of Bagan. Todays tour will take in all of major temples and monuments of the city, including the Dhamayazeka Zedi and the Ananda Temple. For sunset, a bullock or horse cart ride around the temples offers unparalleled photo opportunities of one of the richest archeological treasures in Southeast Asia as the sun dips behind the temple ruins (weather permitting).
After breakfast, we set off for a 1,5hrs drive to Mount Popa, the Burmese spiritual epicenter for those who worship the pantheon of nat spirits and martyrs. In the late afternoon, we return to Bagan and transfer to the Ayeyarwaddy River for a private sunset cruise where local cocktails can be enjoyed on board along with views of the temple silhouettes and bustling shore.
After breakfast at the hotel, we transfer to Bagan airport for a 30min flight to Mandalay. Transfer 40km/1hr to Mandalay City where enjoy a morning stroll through the lively Zegyo in the heart of the city and making stops at Burmese snacks and “thanaka” (make up) stalls. We continue to the artisan quarters, where some of the oldest craftsmanship is showcased dating back to last kingdom of Myanmar. Next, we proceed to the highlights of Mandalay including the sacred Mahamuni Pagoda, housing one of the most significant Buddha images in the country, covered in several tons of gold leaf and the crown prize in long past wars between competing Myanmar kingdoms. We end our day with sunset panoramic views over city skyline on Mandalay Hill, the highest point of the city.
After breakfast at the hotel, we discover the ancient kingdoms of Myanmar near Mandalay. First we drive 15km to Ava (Inwa), the ancient capital of the Shan and Burmese Kingdoms for over four centuries. We continue to the Ancient Kingdom Of Sagaing, located across the mighty Ayeyarwaddy River. From the Sagaing Hills, we enjoy magnificent views overlooking the river and hill side covered with countless pagodas. We end the day at the beautiful ancient capital city, Amarapura, famous for its weaving traditions and Ubein Bridge, a simple yet strong teak structure that spans 1,2km over Taungtaman Lake. The bridge silhouetted by the setting sun is one of the most magical experiences in Myanmar and a photographer’s dream.
Enjoy breakfast and then transfer to the Mandalay airport for the 30min flight to Heho, a quiet transit town with one of the few airport links in the beautiful hills of Shan State. Next, we take a 1-hour drive to Inle Lake that descends through the valley with views of the Shan mountains and rice paddy fields. After checking into the hotel, we embark on afternoon explorations of Inle Lake, populated with floating islands and gardens made from the naturally tangled roots of water hyacinth plants and reeds. Delight in the picturesque sights of fishermen who balance and row with one leg, a technique indigenous to the Inn Thar minority group who do this only on Inle Lake.
After breakfast we journey out by boat, following the currents of a small river to reach the Inn Thein, a site that makes us feel as if we’ve stepped through a forgotten portal in time. To access the Inn Thein archeological site we walk through verdant bamboo groves that open up to a field covered with the ancient pagodas constructed over 1,000 years ago.
Rest of the day is for lake explorations, learn how the floating islands and cultivation are shaped and tended, marvel at lotus thread and garments making in Inn Phaw Khone village, visit the Ywama village known for its silver smith traditions. We end the day with scenic canoe ride propelled by leg rowers.
In the morning we transfer to Mine Thauk village and the Red Mountain Estate to tour the lush vineyard situated on the side of a mountain. Taste some of Myanmar’s premiere wines, and observe the different aging methods completed in their cellar cave. After lunch break in Nyaung Shwe we drive 1hr to Heho airport for afternoon flight to Yangon. Upon arrival to Yangon transfer to hotel. Rest of the evening is free for relaxing & your own Yangon explorations.
Breakfast at hotel and free at leisure until transfer out to Yangon airport for your departure flight.
- Private tours and transfers with air-conditioned vehicles as specified in our itinerary
- 2 bottles of water & 2 refreshing towels per passenger per day
- Lodging with breakfast as specified in the itinerary
- Luggage handling fees at airports
- Entrance fees or zone fees
- English speaking guide(other languages guide can be provide with additional charges)
What's Not Included
- Visa to Myanmar (note that pre-arranged visa is required for tourists)
- All entrance fees or zone fees
- Domestic Airfares (always quoted and mentioned separately from tour package price)
- International air fares
- Meals or any other item not described in the itinerary
- Peak season surcharges & Compulsory dinners during Xmas & New Year’s
- Early check-in, late check-out. Normal check out time from hotels in Myanmar is 11am or 12 o’clock noon
- Drinks during meals, hotel extras and expenses of personal nature
- Camera & video fees. Some of the sites visited may ask small fees for photographing and video recording.
Tips & gratuities
WHAT OUR CLIENTS ARE SAYING
About This Tour
DON’T FORGET TO CHECK OUT